lunes, 22 de enero de 2007

Petri Dish

When I think of sending some notes back home to friends and folks I first think of trying to bring up interesting stories that try to convey the experience of what it`s like to go to a new culture, adapt to a new language etc. But that has started to feel like it is missing the mark. - I also wanted to explain the "why" I would leave familiarity and comfort, and what some call the "richness of potential of my sporadic music endeavours" to come here to the middle of nowhere, but I don`t have an answer. But here I am still shoeing out chickens from my room, planting beans, asking people to "repetes por favor, no entiendo", dealing with ways that seem to come sometimes from another planet, eating food cooked on a fire, riding a moped etc. - Sometimes when I sit under my mosquito net, it takes me a bit of time to be reminded that Diana`s tears are just like mine, that Marisol`s frustrations are just like my frustrations, that Juan`s alcohol problem is like everyone`s alcohol problem, that Angela`s laugh is as bright as a laugh anywhere, that Lélé`s hugs are soulful. - It still doesn`t answer the why`s though, but I do know that some thought keeps trying to pop it`s head out from the ether so it can be expressed and for some reason I keep suppressing it, the closest I can maybe come to expressing it, is that maybe we can`t have it all. And if that is what the thought is, I know I don`t have to come all the way here to realize that, but it sure helps, it seems. - So I think I am looking for a certain Petri dish for myself. I don`t know what is going to happen though because I seem to always be looking for Petri dishes. But even that is just a part of it. The view is pretty nice too. - If you would like to take a closer look at this Petri dish to check out either my project website which I added some thank-yous too www.labocainaproject.blogspot.com or this one, my recent thoughts and stories about my trip back here, you are welcome to - and you are always more than welcome to let me know what is happening in your petri dish.
All the best in the new year
Feliz Navidad
Ed

No hay comentarios: